Sunday, December 16, 2012

'Gingerbread Houses'

One Christmas tradition that we manage make happen every year, is the making of the graham cracker gingerbread house.  I was inspired while on a business trip two weeks ago - where the hotel chefs had partnered w/ a local school to create the display below:




Lacking the four star certification in our humble abode... this year's theme was an homage to the modern Streng homes of our town....(or maybe we just decided the rectangular approach saved time and tears...)  I busted out grandma's famous hard-setting icing recipe...and even made some green cocunut grass for decoration...and began to parcel out the treats:  mike & ikes, gummy life savers, red vines, m&m's, starbursts, peppermints, marshmallows, teddy grahams, mini chocolate chips, four kinds of sprinkles, and tootsie rolls...and the kids fired up their imaginations (and taste buds)



 LB contructs a well-enforced roof:


Note the snowman w/ the chocolate chip eyes:

 Lulu made a tree w/ a tootsie roll, licorace framed windows, and chimneys:

We just finished eating them tonight (I helped ;)  I'd say its the most scrumptious tradition we have!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home